The 9th Norfolk District encompasses the towns of Plainville, Wrentham, Norfolk, and precinct 1 in Millis, precincts 3 and 4 in Medfield, and precinct 5 in Walpole. It is currently represented by Representative Shawn Dooley (R), who was elected in a January 2014 special election to fill the term of his predecessor, Dan Winslow (R) after his resignation in September 2013. The 9th Norfolk District is home to over 42,000 voters. Below, find information on each of the towns in the district.
Towns in the 9th Norfolk District
The Town of Plainville was created when a sense that children in “South Wrentham” were not receiving the education they needed and deserved that caused Plainville to seek its independent status 100 years ago. Today we have two state of the art schools in Town because the citizens feel education is essential. A small town of 8000, Plainville has maintained a rural charm. It has numerous public and private conservation areas and horse farms creating a pastoral setting. It has a number of lakes and ponds that draw from the Ten Mile River, Taunton River, and Cumberland River Basins.Plainville’s northern border is at a juncture of Route 495 and it is traversed by Route 1 and 1A.
The Town of Wrentham was began in the early 1660’s, Dedham general town meeting voted to establish a plantation on the 6 sq. miles purchased from King Philip for L20, 10 S. Settlers drew lots for parcels of land in the Plantation. And after a rough start, Wrentham was actually incorporated in 1673. And thus Wrentham was born. Located in Norfolk County, Wrentham has grown to occupy some 22 sq. miles (59 km) with a population of more than 10, 500. Wrentham is the only Wrentham in the United States. It is named after the village of Wrentham in Beccles, Suffolk, England.
The Town of Norfolk is a semi-rural suburban community located on an upper valley of the Charles River. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Norfolk has 10,460 residents in 2,818 households. Although first settled in 1669, Norfolk was not incorporated as a town until 1870, when it broke away from Wrentham and other surrounding communities.The area formerly known as “North Wrentham” has gone through many changes over the years. Norfolk is located in eastern Massachusetts, about 20 miles southwest of Boston, and is bordered by Millis and Medfield on the north, Walpole on the east, Foxborough and Wrentham on the south, and Franklin and Medway on the west.
The Town of Walpole was created when a group of sawmill residents who built along the great Cedar Swamp petitioned the Annual Town Meeting of Dedham in 1721 for the privilege of becoming a separate Town with their own minister, which was then officially incorporated in 1724. Walpole Town, as the Census refers to the actual town, is located about 13 miles south of Downtown Boston and 23 miles north of Providence, Rhode IslandTheir petition was finally accepted in 1724 and they chose their Town’s name in honor of the de facto first Prime Minister of England, Sir Robert Walpole.
The Town of Millis was first settled in 1657 and was originally part of Dedham, Massachusetts until that town granted the lands of Millis, and other present day surrounding towns, to Medfield in 1651. In 1713, pioneers of Medfield applied for a grant to create a new town and, when approved, named this new land Medway. This new town consisted of West Medway (present day Medway) and East Medway (present day Millis). Millis incorporated as a separate town on February 24, 1885. Millis is named after Lansing Millis, one of the founders of the town.
The Town of Medfield is in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 12,024 according to the 2010 Census. Medfield (New Dedham) was first settled in 1649, principally by people who relocated from the former town. The first 13 house lots were laid out on June 19, 1650. In May 1651, the town was incorporated by an act of the General Court as the 43rd town in Massachusetts. Medfield is an affluent community about 17 miles southwest of Boston, Massachusetts. Attractions include the Lowell Mason house, Hinckley Pond and the Peak House.